From The Examiner in the course of the 7 days of Jan. 4-9, 1971:
• ‘29-OF-35 Corporations DISPLACED BY UR Get the job done ON Square RELOCATE HERE” – Out of 35 firms displaced at this time in the Independence Square spot by Urban Renewal, 29 of the enterprises have relocated in the town, most in the Sq. location. The figures have been produced available at the ask for of The Examiner by the workers of the Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority. Relocation payments, direct federal subsidies to the displaced corporations, totaled $154,684.12 as of Nov. 30. The relocations have taken put from January 1969 to the present.
Among the 29 are Tremarco Services Station, previously Truman Street and Osage, now 23rd and Most important Southard Taxi, previously Osage and Truman, now Key and Walnut Herald Book Retailer, formerly in Battery Constructing, now is Gaslight Sq. Heart on South Noland Road and Jack’s Chili, was at 216 W. Lexington, moved to previous Gibbons Cafe, 107 W. Lexington (constructing burned in fire early this calendar year). Of the 7 however to be relocated, 3 have definite web-sites, which include Diamond Bowl, now at 209 S. Spring, to be relocated at 216 N. Osage.
• “CITY TO Acquire NW PARKWAY LAND” – The metropolis should be able to get Northwest Parkway land from Urban Renewal in two to a few weeks, and do the job should commence on the park in the spring. This critical step in the extensive and controversial 27-acre undertaking was manufactured Wednesday at a conference of the Urban Renewal Board. John F. Hayner, recently elected City Renewal board chairman, expressed relief that the “long, monotonous and occasionally tortuous” project had finally arrived at this stage.
Recent designs for the place connect with for a scenic park, with quite a few walkways and benches. In addition, a engage in region with devices is proposed.
The total $2.4 million undertaking, bounded by River on the west, Spring on the east, U.S. 24 on the north, and Farmer and Waldo on the south, associated the acquiring of 190 pieces of property and the destruction of 144 residences. Variances in how the land must be designed held up the task for some time. The project was 1st permitted on Dec. 29, 1964.
Be aware: Although it chronicled this key moment in the life of the group – McCoy Park stands right now and is effectively utilised – The Examiner terribly skipped the mark by neglecting to issue out that this shift wrecked the Neck, a predominantly Black component of the metropolis, displacing quite a few family members and completely disrupting a substantial part of the neighborhood.
From The Independence Examiner for the duration of the 7 days of Jan. 3-8, 1921:
• “NO Bank REPORT YET” (Friday, Jan. 7) – At 2 o’clock this afternoon the deputy point out lender examiner and the board of administrators, who are likely in excess of the books and accounts of the Business Point out Financial institution, at Mount Washington, which was shut Tuesday night time by the board of directors on account of the unexplained absence of Vice-President and Performing Cashier Walter M. Halpin, ended up not all set to make a report of the sum of the bank’s scarcity. It is predicted that it will sum to several thousand bucks.
• “GET A VICTORY MEDAL.” – Just about every man who served in the United States army through the Globe War is entitled to a Victory Medal. This medal is mentioned to be the most lovely campaign badge at any time put out by the United States. It is created of heavy bronze, a person and a single-quarter inches in diameter, and is suspended from a silk ribbon of the merged colors of the allies. To get hold of one particular of these medals, it is only important for qualified guys in this vicinity to signal an application blank and mail it to the United States military recruiting station, 203 East Twelfth avenue, Kansas Town.
• “IS A Perilous Behavior.” – During the midday hour nowadays, boys from the Junior High Faculty, corner of Maple Avenue and Pleasant Street, retained managing into the road and hanging on the backs of passing vehicles. No one was hurt but a person might have been. In a person scenario 3 boys ran out to catch a truck which was staying pushed east at a great rate. Two of the boys caught the truck but the 3rd unsuccessful and the driver of a Ford coupe, which was next shut after the truck, had to throw his brakes down challenging to reduce hitting the youngster. If an accident had transpired it would not have been the fault of the drivers of the vehicles and cars.
– Compiled by Jeff Fox